Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hiking in Bora Bora

There's a couple of cool looking peaks in Bora Bora, and we'd heard that at least two of them are hikable. (Ben says the other one is summitable since we have climbing gear but I'm not sure I'm hard core enough). So we decided to hike what we could. A couple of folks have gotten lost, hurt and even died on the mountain without guides, so all the locals in the tourist trade will tell you to hire a guide for about $40-50 per person. Eesh. That's a lot of money.

Of course being independent Alaskans we decided to just take a whack at it ourselves with a bunch of other cruisers. Barb on Sea Whisperer did the hike the day before we planned to, and she gave us the ins and outs. She said it was actually more intense than some hiking she did in Nepal! I was a little worried to do it in just my little minimalist running shoes but those were the sturdiest shoes I brought with me.

The hike turned out to be beautiful--and reminded me so much of hikes I've done at home (ok, minus the devil's club, alders, low treeline and all the other Alaskan stuff. Plus all the tropical stuff). It was really steep in places but nothing was too scary or intense. And it was beautiful!!

Once we got to the top we looked longingly over at the next peak and thought we maybe saw a trail up it. Turns out there was a trail--but it was STEEP! No such luck on the third peak, but the second peak's view was breathtaking.

The internet is too slow to post pictures but I will soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment